Wednesday 19 November 2008

Comfort's Questions: Introduction

So - a little while ago, Ray Comfort posted up some questions from his new book, touting them as questions Atheists find hard or uncomfortable to answer.

The questions:


1. What was in the beginning?
2. Do human beings have more intrinsic value than animals?
3. What happens after death?
4. What is the purpose of life?
5. Why there is order in all of creation?
6. Why is there a sense of morality in every civilization?
7. Why does every civilization believe in a Creator?
8. Why does every sane person have a conscience, even when it is not dictated by society?
9. Which came first--the chicken or the egg?
10. How did nothing create everything?


In his own blog (linked above) Ray gives each of these questions a little paragraph of explanation, sometimes positing a few more questions within the subject. For the most part, though, he posits some 'straw men' that he appears to honestly think an Atheist would give as their answer.

When I first read this post, I was amused by his total lack of understanding. I then got more than a little annoyed at his 'straw men' and bumptious attitude and wilful misunderstanding of even the most basic of sciences.

I read the replies to the entry and was pleased to note a good many people answering the questions quite clearly and concisely (as well as a goodly number of people whom appeared to be complete idiots - and were unmistakably Christian of some denomination or other.)

There were some damn good answers and one or two mediocre. But I wanted to have a go at it myself. So I've been enjoying myself looking things up and reading around (and learning some really fascinating things about Physics) and will be posting my answers to these question up over the next few posts. One question/answer per post, to keep things clean.

I hope you enjoy ^^

No comments: